Welcome to Connect!
Thank you for being part of our community.
To ensure the best possible experience for all members and users, we have established some basic guidelines for participation covered under the following areas:
- Code of Conduct
- Legal Terms and Conditions
By joining and participating in this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. Connect shall be used exclusively as a professional service for networking and information sharing in a collegial setting. As such, users acknowledge the intended spirit and professional intent of Connect and agree to use it accordingly. Connect is a great platform with which to connect with your peers by initiating and participating in ongoing conversations. In doing so you agree to hold discussions and share files and content that are best suited to the platform. Questions regarding what is considered appropriate content should be directed to our Member Services Department via the “Contact Us” link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, please contact the Member Services Department.
Code of Conduct
In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and constructive dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend access to this community for inappropriate use or violation of these rules and guidelines. Participation in the community is covered under the AOM Code of Ethics.
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as an irrelevant question.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share knowledge, ask questions, and provide constructive feedback instead of commercial promotion. If you’ve found a commercial product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
- Information posted in the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and country-specific antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is protected by copyright and not available for reuse. It’s advisable to contact the owner/author of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
Some general tips to help you maintain good etiquette when reproducing content.
- Be courteous. Please ask participants for permission to republish their words elsewhere (especially if elsewhere would be a publicly viewable setting).
- When citing Connect discussions, please include a link back to the original discussion or to the Connect homepage.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send short reply messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
Connect is the online community and professional networking site for members of the Academy of Management (AOM) and authenticated users who create an account. The site seeks to facilitate user interaction through its many features including user profiles, which display some personal information to other members and authenticated account holders. This allows our users to identify each other and expand their scholarly network.
User Controls & Directory Privacy Settings
AOM members and authenticated users can change their profile information at any time and can control how other members and the platform communicates with them. Users can set their privacy level for each group, including making information private and not visible to the Connect community, or known only to the user’s personal networks.
Please note that when users enter and information is collected, including personal information, this information might be available for some, a subgroup of, or even all members of the Connect community, depending on how and where this information was posted by the user or the settings the user has chosen. Personal information entered into publicly available sections of Connect will be displayed to anyone who has access to those sections.
Information Collection and Used by Connect
Personal Information Provided by AOM and by Users
Connect extracts and stores basic profile information from the AOM’s membership database such as name, organization, email, and divisions and interests groups in order to authenticate users, facilitate user interaction, and send notifications related to the service. As such, users of the site are not anonymous to us.
In addition, when you personalize your profile, Connect collects the user submitted information in order to further enhance interaction, such as personal interests, bios, education, areas of expertise, and other fields that will develop over time as the site matures and the profile options for users expand. The personal data we gather from you helps us to learn about our members, potential members, and other users of our community to generally improve AOM services.
From time to time, AOM may reproduce postings for members-only communications.
Personal Information Collected Via Technology
As you navigate Connect, certain information may also be collected passively. Connect logs non-personally-identifiable information from users, including but not limited to IP addresses, aggregate user and profile data, cookie information, and browser type. This data is used to manage the website, track usage and improve the website services. User IP addresses are recorded for security and monitoring purposes and to analyze web page flow.
Connect is a private site powered by HigherLogic. Non personally identifiable data regarding the use of the community may be used by HigherLogic for the purpose of establishing overall user trends and best practice community strategies. HigherLogic also uses this information to better tailor the features, performance and support for Connect.
Links and Third Parties
The AOM and HigherLogic use reasonable measures to protect user information, to keep user account information private, and to prevent unauthorized access to any restricted areas of the Connect site and any databases or other sensitive material generated from or used in conjunction with the community. Connect member or authenticated user accounts are secured by ID numbers created in the membership database. Although access to Connect is restricted, please note that we cannot fully guarantee the security of account information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use the Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page.
Sharing and Disclosure of Information AOM Connect Collects
Special Note to International Users
Connect is hosted in the United States. If you are a User accessing Connect from the European Union, Asia, or any other region with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use, and disclosure, that differ from United States laws, please be advised that through your continued use of Connect, which is governed by U.S. law, this Privacy Notice, and our Terms of Service, you are transferring your personal information to the United States and you consent to that transfer.
Legal Terms and Conditions
1. Connect is an online community sponsored by the Academy of Management (AOM) for use by AOM members and authenticated users with an AOM account who want to interact and share information in a virtual environment. Connect shall be used exclusively as a professional service for networking and information sharing in a collegial setting. As such, users acknowledge the intended spirit and professional intent of Connect and agree to use it accordingly.
2. By accessing, viewing, or using Connect, you indicate that you understand and intend these Terms of Service, Code of Conduct and Privacy Guidelines to be the legal equivalent of a signed, written contract and equally binding, and that you accept such Terms of Service and agree to be legally bound by them. Please note that AOM reserves the right to change the Terms of Service under which Connect is extended to you. Your continued use of Connect following such modifications will be conclusively deemed acceptance by you of any changes to these Terms of Service. AOM, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to terminate access to any Connect user for any reason, with or without cause, including but not limited to a user’s failure to abide by the Terms of Service, or no longer qualifying to use the Connect service.
3. This Term of Service Agreement provides you with a personal, revocable, nonexclusive, nontransferable license to use Connect conditioned on your continued compliance with the Terms of Service and your membership in the AOM or authorized account holder granted by AOM. As a condition of use of Connect, you warrant to AOM that you will not use Connect for any purpose that is unlawful or otherwise prohibited by these Terms of Service.
4. AOM accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted or circulated by users. AOM cannot warrant the accuracy of any information posted on Connect. AOM disclaims all warranties with regard to information circulated on Connect. This disclaimer includes all warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall AOM be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on Connect. In no event is AOM liable for any damage to your computer system or business delays caused by computer viruses that may emerge from Connect.
5. AOM nor its officers, staff, or volunteers accept any responsibility for the content of the postings on Connect. The content of all postings is solely the responsibility of the users. AOM does not actively monitor Connect for inappropriate or illegal postings, and does not, on its own, undertake editorial control of postings. However, AOM reserves the right to delete, move or edit any communications at any time, for any reason or in its discretion, but has no obligation to review or remove any such content. In the event that any inappropriate or illegal posting is brought to AOM’s attention, AOM may exercise appropriate action. AOM reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
6. You agree not to use Connect to post material that:
- contains vulgar, profane, pornographic, abusive, racist or hateful language or expressions, epithets or slurs, text, photographs, videos or illustrations in poor taste, inflammatory attacks of a personal, racial, sexual, or religious nature;
- is defamatory, threatening, disparaging, grossly inflammatory, false, misleading, fraudulent, inaccurate, unfair, contains gross exaggeration or unsubstantiated claims, violates the privacy rights of any third party, is unreasonably harmful or offensive to any individual or community;
- violates any right of AOM, its officers, directors, employees, members or any third party;
- discriminates on the grounds of race, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability, or refers to such matters in any manner prohibited by law;
- violates or inappropriately encourages the violation of any municipal, state, federal or international law, rule, regulation or ordinance;
- advertises, promotes or offers to trade any goods or services; encourages or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade; encourages or facilitates an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers;
- you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;
- contains software viruses, spyware or any other computer code, files or programs that interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment; and/or
- "stalks," “flames” or otherwise harasses another person or entity.
7. All content you post on Connect, including but not limited to text, video, pictures, graphics and audio (“User Generated Content”) may be viewed and/or accessed by Connect users and is available for copying and downloading. By posting User Generated Content, you warrant and represent that you own the intellectual property rights in and to such User Generated Content, including but not limited to copyrights, patents, trademarks and trade secrets (“Intellectual Property Rights”) or you have received permission from the owner(s) of the Intellectual Property Rights in and to such User Generated Content. To the extent you claim Intellectual Property Rights to any User Generated Content, it shall be your responsibility to safeguard and enforce these rights should you not approve of any user’s copying or use of such User Generated Content. Notwithstanding Connect’s obligations as a service provider under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, you agree that AOM shall have no other obligation to enforce your Intellectual Property Rights to the User Generated Content. You further agree that AOM shall not be liable for third party infringements of your Intellectual Property Rights to the User Generated Content. For any User Generated Content, you hereby grant AOM a non-exclusive, sub-licensable, transferable, royalty-free and worldwide license to use your User Generated Content in connection with Connect. This license shall terminate upon: (1) your deletion of the User Generated Content from Connect; or (2) your cessation as an authorized user of Connect and the deletion of your Connect account.
8. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under US copyright law. AOM reserves the right to remove any material on Connect which allegedly infringes another person’s copyright. Notices to AOM regarding any alleged copyright infringement on Connect should be directed to: Nancy Urbanowicz, Executive Director, Academy of Management firstname.lastname@example.org
10. You acknowledge, consent and agree that AOM may access, preserve and disclose your account information and content if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce the Terms of Service; (c) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties; (d) respond to your requests for customer service; or (e) protect the rights, property or personal safety of AOM, its officers, directors, employers, agents, other AOM Connect users or the public.