Discussion: View Thread

My new book is now available: “The Cooperative Economy: A Solution to Societal Grand Challenges”

• 1.  My new book is now available: “The Cooperative Economy: A Solution to Societal Grand Challenges”

Posted 01-16-2023 09:18

I am thrilled to announce that my new book: “The Cooperative Economy: A Solution to Societal Grand Challenges” published by Routledge, is now available for order.

The book centers on grand challenges relating to the concentration of wealth and economic inequality, the dominance of Big Tech firms, the loss of privacy and free choice, and the overconsumption and abuse of natural resources, which have been reinforced by globalization. In this book, I make the case that traditional remedies such as regulation, legislation, and government and corporate policies have fallen short. In my quest for a solution, I identify the root cause of these problems in the nature of the modern economic system that reinforces opportunistic behavior. I conclude that this system is unfixable, so we should focus on designing a new economic system, namely the cooperative economy, which is instituted on alternative principles that drive prosocial behavior rather than opportunistic behavior.

But what should be the design principles for the cooperative economy? The proposed cooperative economy is an ethical community-driven exchange system that relies on collective action to promote societal values while accounting for resource constraints. Unlike our current economic system, it moves away from a materialistic orientation and follows a more balanced perspective that leverages prosocial behavior. The book explains how this new system promotes self-sufficiency of communities, sustainability and entrepreneurship while limiting overconsumption and excessive profit-making. It enhances economic equality by using price subsidization and by restricting salary differences. The book describes how the system serves the interests of consumers, vendors, and employees while preventing the accumulation of power by platform owners.

The book revisits long-held assumptions, offering food for thought and a plan for concrete action. You will find interest in it if you are a scholar in the field of economics, strategy, innovation or public policy, a policymaker who seeks solutions to societal grand challenges, a manager who copes with platform ecosystems, resource shortages and supply chain disruptions, or simply a reader who is concerned about the future of our planet and society.

You can order the book from Routledge or Amazon.

------------------------------
    Via Roentgen 1 - 20136 Milano MI
    4th Floor, Room 4-B1-06
    Tel. +39-02-5836-2646
    Email. dovev.lavie@unibocconi.it

------------------------------