Communication, Digital Technology, and Organization CTO

View Only

Towards Health Futures: Widening the Divide Through Digital Health Innovation? (#436)

• 1.  Towards Health Futures: Widening the Divide Through Digital Health Innovation? (#436)

Posted 08-02-2022 03:25
    Dear colleagues,
    Sirkka Jarvenpaa (University of Texas at Austin), Virpi Tuunainen (Aalto University School of Business) and myself (ICN Business School) are happy to invite you to the PDW "Towards Health Futures: Widening the divide through digital health innovation?" to on Aug 6, at 1 PM (Seattle) in room 213 (hybrid).

The PDW includes a panel session with
    • Andrew Burton-Jones (The University of Queensland, Australia)
    • Eivor Oborn (Warwick University, United Kingdom)
    • Ilias Pappas (University of Agder, Norway)
    • Ritu Agarwal (University of Maryland, USA)
    • Youngjin Yoo (Case Western Reserve University, USA)
    Following the panel session, we discuss papers among commentators
    • Aaron Baird (Georgia State University, USA)
    • Brian Pentland (Michigan State University, USA)
    • Michelle Carter (Washington State University, USA)
    • Panos Constantinides (University of Manchester, United Kingdom)
    • Polyxeni Vassilakopoulou (University of Agder, Norway)
      We aim for a highly interactive and engaging workshop.

Background on the PDW:
      We examine accessibility to digital innovation in Healthcare, i.e., access to the digital innovation process and access to digital innovation as health services. While many have seen the healthcare industry struggle, digital technologies are constantly evolving and finding new applications in healthcare. Since the COVID-19 pandemic has started, we have seen an increasing pace in which digital innovations have emerged. At the same time, the pandemic has also revealed tremendous disparities in access to innovations for different groups within and between our societies. To this point, there seems to be no equal access to the innovation processes, the new products and services, or the fruits of these digital innovations. This is in so far surprising as digital technologies carry the potential to raise accessibility by reducing transaction costs and enabling decentral decision making. In order to produce digital innovations for a more inclusive healthcare, diverse participants including private sector actors are needed to invest and share data in common infrastructures and engage in joint service delivery. We invite scholars to reflect on the entrepreneurial efforts and environments needed for these Health Futures. [...]

Together my co-chairs and I are looking forward to seeing you in Seattle,
      Hannes Rothe
      ------------------------------
      Hannes Rothe
      Associate Professor
      ICN Business School
      Berlin

Hannes Rothe
      Associate Professor
      ICN Business School