Academy of Management Community User Guide
AOM’s online community is a space exclusively designed for management scholars to connect, share and explore ideas. Below are steps to help you get started.
I. How to Login
II. Edit your Profile
III. Join a Community
IV. Start a discussion
V. Reply to a discussion
VI. Email and Community notification settings
VII. How to find members and add contacts
I. How to Login
1. Go to http://connect.aom.org/home and click on the ‘Sign In’ button in the right hand corner.
2. You will then be redirected to the member login page on the AOM website. Enter your AOM member login information. If you don’t remember your login credentials, click 'Forgot your username or password?' or, if you are not yet an Academy member, click 'Not yet a member?' and then ‘Create an Account’ on the left side of the page to get started.
3. When you log into the community for the first time, you will be asked to review and agree to AOM’s community code of conduct.
II. Edit your profile
Click the orange dropdown button on the top right of the page, and then click on ‘profile’. Here you can add a profile picture, link to social networks, enter job history, and education and contact details.
To add a picture so that others can recognize you, click the edit icon on the right side of ‘contact details’. This will take you to your AOM member profile where you can upload a photo, which will automatically transfer over to the AOM community.
You can link to your social networks by selecting the green ‘add button’ in your AOM community profile and selecting from the drop down.
To edit your education and work history, click on the respective ‘edit’ buttons within your AOM community profile.
This will take you to your AOM member profile. Tab over to ‘Professional Profile’ to complete your work and education history. This information you add into your AOM member profile will automatically transfer into your AOM community profile.
III. Join a Community
To join a new community, click ‘Communities’ and select ‘All Communities’.
Once inside the Community list, from the second drop down, choose ‘Communities I can join’. This will populate a list of all the Communities you are eligible to join.
IV. Start a Discussion
Hover over the "Participate" menu and click on "Post a message." Select the community that you wish to send a message to, and then compose your message in the resulting web form.
V. Reply to a Discussion (in discussion thread)
There are three ways to reply to a discussion in a community.
- Reply Inline - Reply to the original post, and your answer is visible to everyone in the group. This option allows you to compose your response in a simple text box that appears directly under the original post, supporting your ability to reference the original text as you type. You may also save your reply in "Draft" form if you wish to return and complete it later. Upon completion of your reply, clicking "Send" post your reply to the Discussion board, subject to moderation (if necessary). In general, this is the recommended option to reply.
- Reply to Discussion – This option is similar to "Inline", but navigates to a new page to compose your reply in a more advanced text editor.
- Reply to Sender - Reply privately to the original sender through a private message. This option will send your reply only to the person who posted the message to which you are replying. This option is appropriate when sending a simple "thank you" or similar message that is intended only for the sender.
VI. Email Reply and Community Notification Email Settings
In your profile, under the ‘My Account’ options, you can manage your "Community Notification settings." This will give you control over how you'd like to receive emails that contain a summary of posts in your Communities. There are currently five subscription options:
- Real Time: You will receive the messages to your inbox as they are posted.
- Daily Digest: You will receive one email per day, combining all of the posts made to that specific community for that day.
- No Email Notifications: You will not receive discussion notifications via email. However, you can still read and reply to messages online.
- Plain Text: You will receive an email in plain text as discussions are posted.
- Consolidated Digest: You will receive one email, combining all of the content and posts from the communities you have selected for consolidated delivery. Consolidated digest may be selected for either Daily or Weekly delivery.
We strongly encourage you to opt for the ‘Daily Digest’ option so you do not miss anything that has happened in the community. To change subscription settings, visit the Community Notification settings page on your profile.
A list will show of all the communities you currently belong to, and your current email settings for each individual community.
VII. How to Find Members and Add Contacts (members only)
Members have access to a member directory in each community. You can build your contact list using the directory. When you click on the Directory tab, you are taken to the search page. Search by first or last name, company name or email address. You can also do an advanced search if you have specific criteria you are looking for.
Adding Members as Contacts
Once you find the member(s) you are looking for, you can add them as a contact. Adding contacts creates an organized list in your profile where you can easily access who you are looking for. To add a member, click on the button at the right ‘Add as Contact’. That member is now saved in your contact list. Benefits of Adding Contacts:
• From your profile, you have quick access to your contacts’ profile information and the ability to send private messages faster.
• Other members can see who your contacts are, which helps you connect with more members.
Need Additional Help?
Please contact AOM Support for further assistance.