Please make a note of a job opening at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam:
PROFESSOR OF STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
Are you a thought leader in Strategic Management and do you have a strong record in research on strategic issues, such as corporate strategy, internationalization and corporate renewal and transformation? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
FTE: 0.8 - 1
The Chair in Strategic Management is a strategic appointment to build capacity in research, to further enhance the international visibility of the Department, and to strengthen, specifically executive teaching in strategy and related fields of studies across under-graduate, post-graduate and PhD-level programs. The Chair will be located within the thematic section “Strategy and Organization”, with close connections with the sections: Entrepreneurship, HRM/OB and Management Consulting. Moreover, the Chair is connected to the teaching in the MSc Business Administration, BSc Business Administration, BSc International Business Administration and Executive MBA.
- the candidate will coordinate the research program ‘Strategic Entrepreneurship’ jointly with the Chair in Organizational Theory and Chair in Entrepreneurship. The Strategic Management chair addresses contemporary issues facing organizations thereby concentrating on the interrelatedness between threats and opportunities external to organizations and organizational responses
- the Strategic Management chair has an emphasis on strategic issues, such as corporate strategy, growth strategies, managing organization boundaries, internationalization, corporate social responsibility and corporate renewal and transformation. These strategic issues can be analyzed from different perspectives (e.g. multi-level, international). The Chair is expected to add relevant expertise concerning these different perspectives on strategic management in order to strengthen the overall research program
- actively participate in the design and delivery of the Department’s Executive education, Bachelor and Master programs, including courses such as Foundations of Strategic Management, International Strategy, Alliance Mergers, and Networks, Doing Business in Emerging Markets, and Growth Strategies and Organizational Challenges
- the successful candidate is also expected to contribute to the Research Master program and (a part-time) PhD program as well as to the delivery of VU Executive education
- a PhD degree and a strong track record in research, proven by recent publications in leading international scientific journals, professional publications, and in authored or edited books with established academic publishers
- able to lead independent original research and contribute significantly to the Department’s research programme through mentoring junior researchers, applying for research grants and supervising PhD students.
- a track record in external research funding acquisition, evident through research funding received from NWO, ERC and other international science agencies
- the candidate is an excellent lecturer, in possession of (senior) teaching qualification, with proven track record in teaching at undergraduate and graduate level
- experience in both large- and small-group teaching. He/she should be able to teach students with various backgrounds, like MSc, MBA, MPhil, PhD, and BSc. Being able to teach in Executive education programmes is a plus
- able to relate effectively with practitioners, both in teaching as well as through research. He/she should be able to translate insights from research into recommendations and applications for practitioners and in executive teaching
- a strong international network, evident in joint work, invitations to address conferences, membership of editorial boards, and participation in international workshops or conference.
What are we offering?
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €5,582 (H2) and a maximum €8,127 (H2), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 5 years, with the possibility of extension.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting allowance based on public transport
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
ABOUT VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT AMSTERDAM
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science – from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 23,000 students. We employ more than 4,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS
The School of Business and Economics (SBE) provides high-quality education and excellent research in business administration and economics with a focus on contributing to the social, economic and ecological challenges of our time. Whether it is the use of robots in society or big data, labour market participation or flexibility in the labour market, traffic jams or the housing market, flash crashes in the stock market or choice behaviour in gambling, leadership or change management: we believe in goal-oriented scientific research and understand that progress in academics, the business community and society is achieved through cooperation, openness and social responsibility.
At SBE, all of our highly-motivated colleagues work together closely in a stimulating, dynamic and international environment to achieve our collective goal of encouraging society to make informed choices. Approximately 4,200 Bachelor’s and Master’s students and 1,700 executive students are enrolled at the School, and employs roughly 500 people.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Management & Organization is one of the largest departments of the SBE. Its mission is to lead scholarly and practitioner conversations on the topic of organisation and organizing in the globalized world. The department is organized around four sections: Strategy and Organization, Entrepreneurship, HRM/OB and Management Consulting. At the department of Management & Organization, research and teaching are seen as mutually supportive. We strive for excellence in research by making a strong contribution to international scholarly debates. At the same time, we stimulate innovative and progressive teaching methods and close interaction with our students. Members of our department have a strong track record in research by publishing regularly in leading journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Management Studies, and Organization Science. The Department has a collaborative ethos with staff actively working together on research projects and papers. Our group is highly diverse in terms of cultural backgrounds and we enjoy working in an international environment. The group has a high international visibility with many members holding visiting professorships at leading business schools worldwide.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the following web-site and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter before 15 September 2019.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. S. Khapova
Position: Head of Department