HBCU ENTREPRENEUR'S WEEK - March 27th - March 29th, 2023
Advancing Equity in the Government Procurement Process
CALL FOR PAPERS – CONFERENCE SUBMISSION
Thomas Hallin, Chief Ecosystem Builder, Ecosystem Resource, email@example.com
Dr. Sharon Simmons, Jackson State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Julian Waddell, Oakwood University, email@example.com
This is a call for submissions to the 2nd Hybrid Biannual Conference of HBCU Entrepreneur's Week to be hosted by Jackson State University (March 27th - March 29th, 2023). HBCU ENTREPRENEUR'S WEEK will provide a unique opportunity for all scholars to engage with federal and state agencies, entrepreneurs, consultants, thought leaders and other professionals to gain technical insight and to disseminate research on minority enterprises doing business with federal, state and local governments. The hybrid audience will include diverse government agencies, faculty, students, entrepreneurs and community members who are seeking to diversity their revenue streams and grow by doing business with the government. The conference will highlight often overlooked industry opportunities of interest to government buyers beyond STEM such as retail, real estate, arts, music, cosmetology, education, community outreach, professional services, etc. In addition to providing opportunities to present research, scholars will have intimate opportunities to engage one-to-one with government agencies about the pathways for university faculty, staff and students to independently register in SAMS and procure research and other types of service contracts.
Dr. Sharon Simmons, Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship at Jackson State University, is the Event Chair for the March 2023 Conference. Professor Julian Waddell at Oakwood University in Huntsville, Alabama which is where our inaugural event was held last October states: "The OU Launchpad Entrepreneurship & Esports Center was created to address the needs of microentrepreneurs and to be a wayfinder, enabling budding startups to navigate the siloed Entrepreneurship Supporting Organizations in North Alabama. Thanks to HBCU Entrepreneur's Week we have been able to accomplish in one week what has taken us two years to do, which is create partnerships in the community, provide resources for our cohorts, and create a bridge to each of our partners. We are now the first stop to directing the community to the resources North Alabama has to offer thanks to Ecosystem Resource and HBCU Entrepreneur's Week."
Because of the anticipated high interest in this hybrid conference, please register early.
EXCITING CONFERENCE FEATURES
• Hybrid Event LIVE streamed and recorded for optimal access and participation
• Presentations by Government Agency Representatives and Industry Consultants
• Pre-scheduled Business Speed-Dating and Matchmaking
• Field Trips to Incubators, Accelerators, Co-Working Spaces
• Entrepreneur Case Studies
• Academic Research Presentations
IMPORTANT DATES & SUBMISSION INFO
The HBCU Entrepreneur's Week Submission Center opens on January 3, 2023. Please carefully review the submission guidelines before submitting. All proposals must be submitted through the HBCU Entrepreneur's Week Submission System. The submission deadline is 2023, at 17:00 (5 pm) ET (NY Time). We look forward to reviewing your innovative, engaging, and teaching-focused submissions. All sessions will be delivered in person on-site or synchronous online for a duration of 30 minutes in an interactive symposium format.
SUBMISSION TOPICS & CONFERENCE THEME
Proposals should focus on racial equity, diversity, and inclusion in the Government Procurement Process, and should follow one or more of the following formats:
- Experiential/Active/Problem-based learning approaches
- Case studies connecting teaching and learning to community and practice
- Curricular design/redesign
- Presentation of academic research and teaching resources
CRITERIA FOR ACCEPTANCE
Submissions should explain how the session will promote a high level of interactivity and engagement amongst participants. In addition, takeaways for participants should be clearly outlined. We ask that all submitters volunteer as reviewers. Be sure to check out the reviewer guidelines for additional information.
Please follow the guidelines and formatting instructions. Please note that submissions will NOT be reviewed if these guidelines and instructions are not met.
Cover Page includes:
- The title of the presentation (in Title Case)
- Abstract (limit 250 words)
- Statement to indicate that at least one presenter on the submission agree to register for HBCU Entrepreneur's Week and will attend in-person or virtually.
Main body includes the following headings:
- Topic/Introduction: Describe the topic of your presentation and its purpose. Identify targeted discipline(s) and potential course/program applications.
- Interest: Explain why your topic would be of interest to conference participants.
- Session Description: Explain what you are planning to do during the session. Include a description of the presentation, interaction methods to be employed and the resources required. Provide a detailed breakdown of how the time will be utilized particularly around engagement and interaction. All sessions should be structured as 30 minutes in duration.
- Takeaways: Be explicit about what the audience will be able to take away from your presentation (including any teaching resources or handouts to be distributed). Describe how attendees might apply the session information to improve their teaching, if applicable.
To facilitate the blind review process, REMOVE ALL AUTHOR-IDENTIFYING INFORMATION, including acknowledgments, from the uploaded document. You will include ALL authors on the submission form, but not in your uploaded proposal. The author information provided will appear in the program.
NOTE: Any proposal that appears to market a product or service will be rejected. If you would like to market a product or service or prefer to discuss your ideas before submitting, please contact HBCU Entrepreneur's Week via email and request a sponsorship or advertising packet.
The deadline for all submissions is January 27, 2023 at 5:00 PM ET (NY Time)
Jackson State University