All who have successfully completed their international management-oriented dissertations in the 2022 calendar year and are IM Division members are welcome to submit abstracts for the best dissertation award by January 31, 2023. Please see the below (and attached) call for submissions for the 2023 IM Division D'Amore-McKim School of Business, Northeastern University Award for the Best Dissertation in International Management. If you have questions, please contact me directly.
Davina Vora, Chair of the AOM IM Division Best Dissertation Award Committee
Call for Submissions
2023 IM Division D'Amore-McKim School of Business, Northeastern University Award for the Best Dissertation in International Management
The IM Division D'Amore-McKim School of Business, Northeastern University Award for the Best Dissertation in International Management is presented to the best dissertation submitted to the International Management Division. A plaque is awarded to the author of the winning dissertation.
- The award competition is open to all Ph.D. and D.B.A. students who have successfully completed their dissertations during the 2022 calendar year.
- Dissertations submitted to other competitions are eligible.
- All applicants must be members of the IM Division. If you would like to submit your dissertation for this award but are not yet a member of the IM Division, you can sign up. Go to https://aom.org/network/divisions-interest-groups-(digs), click on "IM" and then click on "join."
- The dissertations must contribute to basic or applied knowledge on topics within the domain of international management. These can relate to cross-border or cross-cultural issues that influence individuals, teams, organizations, regions, nations, or the world as a whole. Traditional topics related to multinational enterprises and cross-cultural management are within the IM Division domain (see below), but others such as those related to UN sustainable development goals, social justice, diversity, migration, and the like in an international context also fit the IM Division.
IM Division Domain Statement
The International Management Division focuses on research in management and organization theory, research, and practice with a cross-border or cross-cultural dimension. Major topics include: the international competitiveness of firms, industries, and nations; the cross-border management of operations, including multi-country, multi-unit strategy formulation and implementation; evolving organizational forms and management practices in cross-border business; the cross-border differential impact of cultural, social, economic, technological, political, and institutional forces on strategies, organizational forms, and management practices; and comparative management studies involving two or more countries.
- Submit electronically a 10-page, double-spaced abstract, with margins of one inch (2.54 cm) on every side and in no smaller than 12-point font. This abstract should include the title of the dissertation, a description of the dissertation's objective, theoretical foundations, relation to prior research, methodology, findings, limitations, and contributions to the field of international management. Reference lists are not included within the 10-page limit, but all other text, figures, tables or illustrations are included.
- Submit the abstract in PDF format so that there is no author identification information.
- Within the body of the submission e-mail, but not the abstract file, please indicate the university you graduated from, your dissertation chair(s), and your month and year of graduation.
- Please write "AOM IM Division Best Dissertation Award Abstract" as the subject header.
- Submit your abstract via e-mail to the Best Dissertation Award Committee Chair at email@example.com.
Submission deadline for abstracts is January 31, 2023.
- The IM Division Best Dissertation Award Committee will conduct the first round of reviews of the abstract submissions and select three to five finalists based on the quality of their abstracts.
- The finalists will then submit their full dissertations for further review and selection.
Obligations of Finalists
Being selected as a finalist is an honor. Finalists are required to present their dissertations at a specially designed session during the 2023 AOM Annual Meeting. Please submit your abstracts only if you agree to this requirement and agree to be present at the division's Business Meeting where the winner is announced.
On December 9, 2022, a webinar with previous IM Division Best Dissertation Award finalists and the Chair of the committee was held to share more information about this award and the scope of projects that would be considered. A recording of the webinar is available at: https://youtu.be/70s3bSdKJGo
SUNY New Paltz
New Paltz NY