HEALTH CARE MANAGEMENT (HCM)
Program Chair: Cheryl Rathert, Saint Louis University
2022 Division Scholarly Program: Call for Submissions
Specific domain: The HCM division invites symposium and paper submissions addressing any aspect of the health care sector. Topics include management of health care organizations; public policy issues, such as access to care, competition, cost control and quality of care, and their implications for managers; health care finance and marketing; comparisons of health care across countries; empirical or conceptual applications of theory in health care organizations; and development of organizational theory from studies conducted in health care settings.
Special Instructions: In addition to submissions addressing the HCM domain, the HCM division also encourages papers and symposia focused on the 2022 conference theme, "Creating A Better World Together ." This theme is especially relevant for HCM given the nearly two years of the COVID-19 pandemic and the workforce disruptions it has led to, particularly in health care. Further, the spotlight on health care disparities and social inequities has implications not only for health care workers, but also for patients, organizations, and systems.
Symposium proposals are particularly encouraged, as they provide conference attendees a coherent, focused session of either a series of authored papers explicitly linked to a common theme, or a group of panelists engaged in a formal interactive discussion around particular issues or questions. Symposia are more likely to be accepted if they are designed and submitted for co-sponsorship by multiple divisions or interest groups.
The HCM division also encourages submissions from Ph.D. students. Papers with a Ph.D. student as the first or sole author should be clearly identified at the time of submission. We also encourage papers that are earlier in development that would benefit from collegial discussion.
The HCM division honors the following papers:
- Best Health Care Management Paper, sponsored by the American College of Healthcare Executives.
- Outstanding Paper Based on a Dissertation. To be considered for this award a paper must be sole-authored and identified at the time of submission as eligible for the Newman Award.
- Best Health Care Management Theory-to-Practice Paper. This award encourages papers relevant to the practicing health care manager. To be considered for this award a paper must be designated as "Practice" oriented at the time of submission.
- Best Global Health Care Management Paper, sponsored by the Emerald Publishing Group. To be considered for this award a paper must be global and identified at the time of submission as eligible for the Dexter Award.
- HCM Division Best Student Paper Award. To be considered for this award, the paper must have a current student, as of the annual meeting submission date, listed as either the sole author or the first author on a multi-author paper.
Submission Process: All submissions must be made through the AOM Submission Center system website. The submission system is targeted to open in early December, 2021. The submission deadline is Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 5:00 PM ET, (but earlier submissions are encouraged). When you submit, you will be asked your preferred session format for your submission. The format options will include in-person, hybrid (in-person with a virtual component) or virtual (Synchronous/Live or Asynchronous/On-Demand).
Please carefully review the submission guidelines and formatting instructions before submitting. If any of the guidelines or formatting instructions are not met, the submission cannot be reviewed. Please note that there is limited space on the scholarly program; therefore, not all submissions will be accepted. All submissions will nevertheless make an important contribution to the HCM division, as the number of submissions impacts future allocation of time on the program.
If your paper or symposium is accepted you are committing to attend the scholarly sessions, which may take place any day during the Annual Meeting, Friday, August 5 – Tuesday, August 9.
Please sign up to review for HCM even if you do not submit a paper!
Saint Louis University
St Louis MOcheryl.firstname.lastname@example.org